It seems like Instagram is launching new features every week. In 2020, they also launched Instagram Reels to compete with TikTok, and they haven’t slowed down their momentum since.
After recently testing the new guides feature, Instagram rolled out this new content option to all users no matter their profile type.
What exactly do you need to know about Instagram guides and how do you get started? Keep reading to find out.
What Are Instagram Guides?
Instagram guides are an updated Instagram feature slowly being rolled out to all users starting in November 2020. These can be thought of as mini blog posts existing within Instagram itself. In other words, they’re a new way to create Instagram content.
Now, guides can be used by influencers and creators of all sizes no matter their follower count. There are 3 main types of guides so far:
- Places: Recommend your favorite places in your city and throughout your travels.
- Products: Share and tag your favorite products.
- Posts: Show off your favorite posts you’ve created or saved from others users.
You can find guides in an existing creator’s profile by going to their profile page. From there, you’ll see a new guides icon in the feed tab. It resembles a foldable guidebook.
How to Make Your First Instagram Guide
How do you get started with Instagram guides? It’s similar to publishing any other type of content on the platform.
Note: If you don’t have the guide feature already, you should get it within the next few weeks. It’s slowly being rolled out to all users, and you might need to update your app to access it.
To create your own Instagram guide, go to your profile and click the + in the upper corner. From here, a navigation menu will pop up with all the different types of content you can create and publish. Guide is at the bottom of this list.
Now, you’ll need to choose the type of guide you want to create (places, products, and posts). Places is ideal for travel or local guides, products utilizes Instagram’s shopping feature, and posts is best for sharing Instagram posts.
Once you decide which type is best for you, you’ll be presented with a search screen. This is where you can navigate between your posts and posts from other creators. You can search by location, shop, account, and hashtags.
When you’ve selected your posts, add content and click publish. You’ll now be able to share your guide in your Stories and on your profile.
How to Use Guides for Your Brand
Guides are one of the most innovative tools Instagram has released in years. They offer a new way for users to share long-form content, integrating with businesses, places, and hashtags.
How can you use guides to promote your own brand or share content your audience wants to see? Here are some ideas:
- Highlight your favorite creators: Shout out some of your favorite creators in your niche by organizing a list of your favorite posts.
- Gift guides: The product guides are perfect for sharing gift recommendations, especially if you feature your own products or affiliate products.
- Local travel guides: If your business or brand has a strong presence in your community, show off your neighborhood with local picks for things to do and places to visit.
- Informative content: Last but not least, use Instagram guides to offer new forms of value to your users. Whether you share a favorite health routine or a new recipe, this is a great way to build strong relationships.
It pays to be creative, especially if you’re looking for new ways to promote existing content. By taking advantage of Instagram’s newest features, you’re more likely to stand out from the crowd.
Taking Advantage of Instagram Guides
Instagram is always innovating in how it presents new features to users. While some features are only reserved for top creators or those with verified accounts, Instagram guides is for everyone.
Whether you’re promoting your brand, small business, or just a personal account, now is the best time to take advantage of Instagram guides.